An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Friday, March 18, 2005

Epicness

Organising a trip anywhere in this country always seems to take epic proportions. So it that when I started to plan to go to Mt Wilhelm over Easter and ask around to see if anyone else is willing, I get the usual calamity.

Some people say they are coming and then pull out, people who have a car and want to go originally then have to go to Singapore, people who originally say they are not going and heading elsewhere then decide to ring me at 10:30 at night to ask if it is still OK to come.

Then there are the transport options, hire a 4WD or take the bus the whole way. Fly to Goroka then bus from there. Ask George if he is heading up to Hagen and grab a lift with him, but then worrying about the number of people coming and if we would fit in his vehicle.

Can't forget the weather either and what it will do. Hearing reports that is fine then hearing others that it will be too wet. Reading that this is the wet season up there. Sometimes I wish it was just a little bit easier.

But as my philosophy states it will all work itself out and come together in the end. No need to stress, and for anyone who knows me they know I don't stress anyway.

Apart from that, not much is happening in this neck of the woods. All very quiet. Elsewhere though it is my old man's birthday. So I should take this chance to say Happy Birthday Dad.

And if you want to see a picture of me wrestling a Mongolian, there is one over here, soon to followed by a tale of travelling around Iceland in a week.