An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Ahh Madang

I am off to Madang on Thursday as I noted last week. Can't wait. I thought I would share some pics from the last time I was there, way back in September.


The lighthouse


View from Kranket island


Mum on the Kranket boat

Madang is a pretty special place and a great place to visit. Mainly because it is so much more prettier than Lae. The beauty of Madang is that it is so much cleaner, smaller and feels happier. Also it doesn't have the industry like Lae does. I guess the geography helps as it is on a peninsular, which means that settlements cannot spring up around it like what has happened here.

Lae has one of those catch-cries that cities try to evoke and it is "The garden city", but really I think they should hand it over to Madang. Once upon a time Lae's Botanical Gardens were viewed as world class. Orchid's etc, but today it is an overgrown, raskol infested place, where I once tried to visit and wished I had brought a bush knife.

On my visit I will also get to catch up with a few volunteer mates that are there. There is Sam and Fedor, ex VSO guys who are now working on other projects since their volunteer placements are now finished. There are a couple of other VSO and Austrian volunteers that are still in placements there. Monica from Goroka, e-mailed me this morning and said that she will be there for a week for work starting today - nice timing. And there is a new AVI volunteer there that I am hoping to meet.

So all up it should be a good little escape. Hopefully work wont get in the way of a good time.