An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Have Phone, Will Travel

A little story from today's Sydney Morning Herald Spike Column.
Phoney business
Diligent student or smooth criminal? While working for Australian Volunteers International in Timor last month Glenda Lasslett realised she had left her mobile phone in a taxi. The phone had vital work information stored on it, but when she located the cab the mobile had been gone. Lasslett sent a text message saying she desperately needed her phone for work, and offered a $50 reward. While she was out the thief dropped her phone's SIM card at her hotel, with a note. It was in broken English but, in effect, said: "Here's the SIM card, so you have the information you need for work. But I am so sorry, I can't return the phone because I have already sold it to further my education. Thank you for helping the future of Timor by paying for my study." Lasslett was touched.

"You have got to admire the spirit behind that."

Not sure if this person is a volunteer or AVI employee. It is amusing nonetheless. I am sure though that I would not see my phone again if I left it on a bus here.

The story reminds me of when I was working for a bank in London. I had been given one of those brick phones, a Nokia 9110 Communicator, for work. I went for a trip on the tube one lunch to collect some photographic prints and on the way back I was so engrossed looking at the prints that when I got up and left the carriage I did so without the brick. I realised straight away and rushed back to the carriage just as the doors closed and then proceeded to watch the expensive thing being whisked away on those lovely orange and brown District line seats. No doubt some lucky sod collected it up the line somewhere. They didn't return my texts or calls though!

Oh and there was also that recent near incident back in Brisbane. Still have heart palpitations thinking about that.