An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Monday, January 17, 2005

On The Buses: Amendment

As to my previous little story about learning how the town bus system works and how to catch them I would like to add, that any potential customer of a bus service should - as well as deciphering where the thing is going in the first place - take the time to do a thorough investigation of the quality of the bus.

This will no doubt confirm that the bus is in fact a heap of shit, but it may just prevent an episode of where a said bus is hankering along at speed when a major noise occurs beneath the bus which upon hearing the driver will pull over to investigate the cause. Upon investigation it is revealed that the fuel tank has indeed broken loose and had been dragging along the tarmac for a hundred metres. As the loose fuel tank is not a quick fix, the passenger, i.e. you, will need to walk back in the blazing sun to the nearest bus stop and then attempt to squeeze onto the next bus with the rest of the passengers from the now emptied bus.

Yes, this is exactly what happened to me yesterday, and I thought it would be wise if I share my experience with you, the reader, the potential future occupant of these third world clap-traps or should I say death-traps. Consider yourself warned.