An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Not A Great Start

Well I am back at home. In PNG. I arrived yesterday afternoon and of course the power was out. We are currently having one of those weekends when they turn the power on and off all the time. Some sort of maintenance on the grid somewhere. I have just managed to get a load of washing through while the power was on so I am happy. Clean clothes.

When I arrived in Port Moresby from Brisbane my bag was of course not there. I filled in one of those forms and am going to get them to forward it on to Lae, hopefully it should arrive this afternoon. That means though that I have to do a trip out there to collect it. It does correspond, almost, with the arrival of one of my volunteer mates who is flying down from Goroka to come and see me a for a few days before she heads back home herself to Kavieng in New Ireland. Perhaps she could collect it for me and save myself a trip. If I can steal a car I will of course collect both of them.

Walking back into the house yesterday I was greeted with that closed up musky smell you get from houses left by themselves for any length of time. It seems to be more pronounced in the tropics. After just five weeks there was mold growing on my kitchen benches. Spider webs criss-crossing rooms, fine ones so that I could not see them but kept walking through wherever I went. Mouse droppings were also around. I might have to do another mouse trap exercise.

The garden as I predicted earlier is a tad overgrown. Though that wont take long to rectify. It is good to see my plants are now nice and healthy - and bigger.

As to my thoughts at being back home. Great - as long as the power doesn't stuff me around all weekend as predicted and my bag shows up.