An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Monday, December 13, 2004

Back In "Civilisation"

Well it has been over a week since I have updated here and over a week since I have been back home proper. There could possibly be a connection there I think.

As to what I have been doing, well getting back in to doing things I have missed since being in PNG for most of the year. Some of the highlights have included:

  • Visiting a pub
  • Browsing a bookstore
  • Going to the Cricket!
  • Watching a film on a big screen
  • Parties and piss-ups with mates
  • Lazing around at a friends place
  • Getting back to the family farm
  • And of course being back home with the oldies and siblings


It is funny how you miss the simple things when you can't do them. But it is also funny how it does not take much to get your fix. I am not saying that I am over being back home, in fact I am enjoying it immensely, but I guess because they are small things that you miss therefore it is easy to do them.

I was pretty lucky with a couple of the things I have done over the last week. I originally was not going to the cricket at the SCG last Wednesday night, my old man was. He always gets free tickets and goes with his long time accountant mate, but this time he had overbooked himself, by flying back from Shanghai in the morning, so he gave his ticket to me and it turned out to be a father, son bonding session.

On Thursday I sent an e-mail to my old workmates, asking them if they were keen for a bit of a piss-up. Half an hour later I get a phone call from my old boss inviting me to the department Christmas party in the Rocks that night. Nice timing. I was great to catch up with all the old colleagues, and it was almost like I had not been away for the year. There were a couple of new faces, but mostly it was all the same people.

Saturday night was another party. This time with old mates from school, some of whom I have not seen each other for over five years. It was nice timing too since it has been ten years now since I finished school. So there was plenty of reminiscing.

Catching up with the family was the first thing I did once back. I went straight away up to where my oldies are, up in the Hunter Valley. I stayed up there, checking out all the changes that have been happening with what they are involved with, basically just enjoying their company.

And there is more of the same for the weeks ahead. Christmas is just around the corner. I have to get some shopping done for that, not something that I really enjoy doing, but have to. I am still making plans to catch up with other friends, and planning what I will be doing over New Years, which is very important. I have also to do other less exciting things like go to the dentist to fix a hole in my back molar, and see a doctor, which I am not looking forward to, but again have to do it. Anyway I have plenty to keep me busy.

Ohh and if anyone is wondering about the previous post and if I managed to catch a flight back. Luckily I managed to get the flight at 6:40, half an hour after the one I was supposed to be on. I still have shudders though just thinking about if I had lost my laptop.