An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Monday, December 05, 2005

I Want a Mummy



Something I have been meaning to mention for a while. PNG has some really cool stuff you just won't see everywhere. Up in Aseki for example, about a four hour drive from Lae (apparently over some very shocking roads) there is a place where the locals used to smoke the bodies of their dead underneath cliff ledges.

This practice died out only recently with the missionaries arriving (I may be wrong but I don't think it's in the good book to keep your mama and papa on a shelf) but it is still quite possible to go and visit the ones that have been there for while.

Anyway a mate of mine who used to be in Lae, and now over in Madang, went there for a trip a couple of years ago and put heaps of pictures on his website. So if you are keen to see some mummy action from this part of the world head over to 1001nights.net and click on the Smoked bodies of Engibena link.

I might just have to get up there myself sooner or later. It is very slack of me not to have done so already.