An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Core's A Bit Rotten

You know it is time to leave when you start to find out more than you want to know. After numerous offers to stay (almost pleadingly sometimes) I am glad the end is nigh. There is one thing I really can't stand and after thinking this place was not as bad as elsewhere it is turning out that in the end it is not.

Wantokism, nepotism or straight out corruption, whatever name used its previous occasional wiffs are now turning into something more fetor like. It has been lingering for a while in various small guises, but now some previously unplumbed depths of rottenness are being uncovered. Like I said before it takes until we have an accountant poring over our books that we dredge it up. Unfortunately now the finger can't be pointed elsewhere.

I am not going to go into details, but lets just say my trust in certain people has now been greatly tarnished. And it certainly makes me feel ashamed. I'll see if my leaving and some exit interviews will be able to make a difference, or at least highlight these issues with people who should know.

It is good though to first shout out here anonymously.