An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Power Not to the People

In one final show of defiance, I am being reminded why this is a developing country. So far this week, out of the 32 working hours available (between 8 and 4 .. government work hours) we have had 14 hours of power.

For the other 18 I have been twiddling my thumbs trying to find something to do. The crossword has proved useful.

Computers are great handy tools, but without power they are big paperweights. The reason; a combination of load shedding while they replace a faulty big-mother transformer in town and a full day out on tuesday after a small distribution transformer blew up. The university seems to cop a hefty amount of power out from load shedding, PNG power must think we are all now on holidays with the students.

Anyway, that big diesel generator I kept plugging for, needs to be bought .. soon methinks. Not that I really care anymore.

Update - Friday 2 Dec

And today .. well 6 hours without power. Mi les.