An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Night Clubbing

Yes I was doing an Iggy Pop on the weekend. Back on the tiles for the first time since Oz. The venue being the newish and good, 'Club 69'.

I was impressed. The place actually feels like a nightclub, not like my previous experiences with the only other popular nightclub in town, Phil's, which just seems like a massive tiled bathroom/echo chamber. Instead '69' actually has carpet, funky moody lighting and character. If it had a lounge area it would be pretty close to perfect.

DJ wise though there is still something to be desired. I admit that computer technology has its advantages, but there are some things where old school is so much better. Give me two turntables and a microphone (and someone who can use them) instead of Windoze Media Player any day.

The problem with crap DJ'ing in PNG is that PNGns are the most fickle dancers anywhere I have seen. A liked song will play and they all pile onto the dance floor. The song will finish and before you can say "boo" there is a mass exodus back to tables and chairs. Compound this with the large gaps between songs and non-existent mixing ability and it looks like human tidal action or an out of control Hokey Pokey.

The clubs clientele is a vast improvement on its competitor. Where the usual boof-heads will go to Phil's and break bottles on heads, get staggeringly drunk and harass the girls, it seems '69' has yet to get those sorts. Instead there seems from my small observation, a nice class of sane 20 some things keen for a dance and good time, not a fight. Hopefully it will stay that way.

So that was my Saturday night, for the rest of the weekend I mainly hung around in town. There was a birthday to celebrate, some very depressing cricket to watch, photos to shoot, more photos to organise (part of a book I am helping to create), plenty of satellite TV to be updated with (including some of that Big Brother Uncut - that is some risqué stuff) and a cat to play with. All good.


Naispela pusi