An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Head Spin - Literally

Geez I was feeling weird this morning. Everything was perfectly fine except for the fact that my motor skills seemed to have been thrown out the window. No headache, nausea or anything else, it just took a bit of an effort to walk in a straight line without swaying all over the place. Or when I attempted to look at the ceiling things started to go a bit wobbly. It was all strange new sensation - well maybe not.

First thing I was thinking was of course *drum-rooolll* Malaria. But this is probably just because anytime you don't feel perfectly normal here, the big M starts to flash in neon before your eyes. I did cancel it out quickly just from gut instinct and the fact last time I was having major headaches in the lead up.

So I was going to head on home at lunch, have a lie down, maybe a cup of cha, but by the time I got to lunch I started to feel normal again. Dang. Easy come easy go. But I couldn't help but think what the hell would cause me to have a slight dizzy spell? Was I pregnant?

I was fine all during lunch but then it started up again. The slight swaying, a bit wobbly and this time with a bit of nausea. Arrgg. What the feck.

Then like a neon brick hitting me in the back of the head I solved my own puzzle. How stupid of me to forget about the extension work going on to my building, with the paint fumes, turpentine, thinner, all the other nasties, floating around, just outside, near the air-conditioners, the ones that suck and filter away the smell, straight into the office.

If there is one thing that really screws around with my head, it is paint fumes. Cancel the baby shower.