An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

For The Common Good

I feel very lefty at the moment. I have been updating in my spare time that brilliant web service, Wikipedia. I figured that since I have been using it for various research I should at least be updating it with things that I know about. So when I encountered that certain pages for PNG were rather lacking I jumped to the rescue.

Where before there was no page for Mount Wilhelm, now you can get a whole overview of it. I even lent my pictures from the latest climb. It was the same story for the Highlands Highway. Before there was nothing, now that has been corrected by me creating one. And the article about Lae before was dreadful, at least now it looks a tad better. Still needs padding though. Same again for Wau and Salamaua, both tweaked and updated.

It is a very Left ideology, sharing information for the common good without any benefit, but personally I think it is brilliant. Who needs to pay gazillions for encyclopaedic material when we can all share a little of what we know and therefore collectively accumulate a wealth. Now go out and update things you know about, anyone can do it and I am sure there will be something missing which you can chip in.