An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Road Trip

A few highlights from this weekends road trip to Goroka. Note these are things that happened on the road alone. Some of the highlights (lowlights) from Goroka itself will come later.

* Using my iPod to play things that I wanted to hear and others liked. Finally I got the chance, on a PNG road trip, to play The Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Ben Folds Five, Prodigy and lot's more (mostly mid 90's) stuff - well it is my era.

* Getting a great view from the top of the Kassam Pass on the way up. Deciding to take photos on the way down. Being completely fogged in on the way down.

* Teaching an uninitiated Canadian the lyrics to Tism's '(He'll Never Be An) Ol' Man River'. Particularly these ones:
I saw his body thrashing round.
I saw his heart rate going down.
I saw him in convulsive throes.
I said, "I'll have one of those."

* Lots of "Ehhh, Ehh, Eh'ing". Watch Little Britain if you don't know.

* Debating which Monty Python's sketch is the best and then remembering that I have the entire The Final Rip Off double CD on my iPod. 'Argument' and 'Cheese Shop' still crack me up - "SHUT THAT BLOODY BAZOUKI OFF!".

* Being disturbed by a P-Mates discussion. If I never hear about these again I will be happy. The intimate details of how it works I'm sure has mentally scarred me for life. Guys just shouldn't have to think about female plumbing.

* Being spooked still when conversation continues, in the back, about how to make your own P-Mate using water bottles or Tetra Pac juice containers.

* Seeing a sign saying "P. Mates Trading Store" along the Markham Valley.