An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Congrats Time

I briefly mentioned previously about my colleague John who had written a book, AIDS: My Brothers Story. Well he launched the book last Wednesday, down in Moresby. It was attended by quite a few big wigs, and made the two national papers (National and Post Courier), and local TV.


To appear on Amazon soon


At the book launch - From the National

I have to say that I am pretty proud of him. This has been an ambition of his for years and luckily I am around when he gets his first book published and launched. Well done mate and a huge pat on the back.

This will also pretty good financially, as the book has been picked up by the Education dept and will be distributed to all the schools. He has been asking me questions about money, and even though my advice is probably not worth listening to, I have made sure to stress that he gets a good financial planner and invest the money - lock it away before all his wantoks come and grab it.

He also has another book published called "Mulzi", which is about a Papuan New Guinean boy who goes to University and the culture clashes. And he has another book in the pipeline, which he is writing and will be published.

To demonstrate what a small place PNG is, the guy in the photo, standing behind John, Daniel Paraide, was one of the attendees at the Telecentre conference, in Brisbane that I went to at the start of December. We had numerous chats during the conference.