An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Little Barber Shop Of DIY

There are some thing that you take for granted and don't think about before you leave to go to an exotic place. For one I didn't think that I would have to learn to be able to cut my own hair.

Of course there are hairdressers here. And I am sure they are alright. But barbers don't exist and I like going to a barbers.

Solution: Learn to cut your own hair. So I have.


Cheap cuts at the back door

Every four or five weeks, I pull my clippers out of the cupboard, grab some scissors, a little mirror and a comb and set myself up at the back door.

Number 4 up the sides and back to start with. Then number 3 but not as far up. Then 2 to trim the edges. That's the easy bit.

I don't worry about getting a totally even length, I like it a bit hacked looking. So hack away is what I do on top. The tricky bit though is at the crown, the bit I cannot see. There I run blind, taking it slow I eventually get there by touch and feel.

Trimming the edges is the other troublesome bit, especially the back. This can be achieved though by using two mirrors. Standing with my back to the bathroom mirror and holding up the little one. Dexterity is thrown out the window with this though as the poor old brain gets a tad confused, like the crown I eventually get there.

The whole time I am shirtless, so at the end I look like the world's hairiest man who has just escaped from a freak show and fled to PNG. Nothing a shower doesn't fix.

As to the result, I don't think it looks too bad, I am sure others will vouch for it. Well they haven't said anything about it yet.