An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Bloating Conference

These conferences are designed to make you fat. I am sure of it. I have just come back from breakfast, where the selections on offer would not look out of place in Windsor Castle.

Bacon, hash browns, eggs, sausages, baked beans, croissants - plain or with a sausage inside, tomatoes, etc. Then there were about 10 varieties of cereal (which I have been loving - don't get much in PNG let me tell you). At the lunches there were about five different types of meat on offer. Dinner was much the same, massive selection. It is all a bit much for little ol' volunteer me. As the Yorkshiremen in Monty Pythons's Flying Circus would say "Lukshirie".

One day knocked over of the conference so far and it has been an eye opener. The best piece of news I have heard the whole time, has been about a cheap and fast satellite internet service, that would make a lot of things technically possible in what I am trying to achieve. Some of the presentations have been great. I was really impressed by what the Solomon Islanders have been doing to connect their islands together, they call it the People's First Network or Pipol Fastaem in pidgin. Shows what can be done with a bit of ingenuity, low technology and hard work. I actually read about these guys earlier this year, it is good to meet the manager of it.

Apart from that I am having a hard time adjusting to the time the sun comes up here in Brisbane. Too bloody early! Back in Lae, you can guarantee that the sun will come up around 6 and go down around 6. All year round. Here it is peeping its yellow dial out around 4:30! By the time 6 comes around it is blazing daylight.

Yesterday morning I actually thought my watch had stopped at some point through the night. When I read it, it said 6 o'clock. No way I thought, it looks like the sun has been up for hours. So in a mad dash I scramble around looking for my mobile phone to check the time off, but I could not find it. So then because I think I am running late for breakfast or the conference I get dressed and head out the door. Only to find no one around. My watch was correct.

Thankfully Sydney has their heads on forwards and have a thing called 'Daylight savings time' and I will finally be there on Friday night. Yay.