An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Village Kids



The above photo was taken on my first trip to Mt Hagen. I actually mentioned this in my story of this trip ... although it was just a side note to all the other things that happened. I have finally got around to getting a digitised copy of it - so I though I would share it.

The kids here are of course great. Especially out in the villages. So innocent and full of wonder - or perhaps that's because a white man is in their presence when I am observing this. I had all these guys above in stitches just by shaking their hands. What a novelty for them.

Any time I meet a new kid belonging to someone I know, I will ask their name, "wanem nem bilong yu?", but they are usually too shy to respond. They are shy when by themselves, but get them in a group like above and they will race around and terrorise you. Pretty similar to kids all over the world really.