An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Climate Change

It is interesting to note (well if you are a bit geeky like me) how the body adapts to changes in climate. When I first came over to PNG 12 months ago - gee has it been that long already - I was tossing and turning, trying to sleep at night underneath the fan whirring around overhead.

A couple of months later I found that I had to go out and buy myself a blanket, and huddle up underneath it as I was starting to get cold.

Repeat scenario. Go back to Australia for 5 weeks, get used to the climate there. Come back here, lie sprawled under the fan tossing and turning to start with and then gradually get used to it and reach for the blanket.

I am no scientist, but from my limit research of one, I am theorising that it takes about a month before you fully adapt to a particular climate.

I am sure everyone is saying, "I could have told you that". Well I am just re-establishing the fact. And here is a good place to do it, as the temperature, especially at night, stays pretty constant all year round - apart from the odd storm and wind off the mountains.