An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Monday, January 24, 2005

Mama Makes



This is Mama. The funky rasta looking old woman at the market who I have briefly mentioned before as the one who is always popping a little bit extra in my bilum when I buy from her.

When my Mum came over, mama promised her that she would make a bilum to keep. A souvenir of her time in the country. Well she has finally finished it and has given it to me so I can send it on. Which I will do shortly, mum, if you are reading this.

I promised her in return that I would take her photo or mi kisim piksa long yu of her holding the bilum which I would then make two copies of. One to send to mum with the bilum and one to give back to mama as a gift in return.

She hails from Goroka, and occasionally she has her daughter along with her to help sell kau kau or kumu or whatever, although I have not seen her for a few months now.

She has that Jamaican style happening. Not sure how intentional it is. But I wouldn't be surprised if she is Bob Marley's biggest fan. She could be one of his long lost wives.