An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Monday, September 06, 2004

Sunny Days are here to Stay?

The sun has been shining over the past couple of weeks and it now looks like the rainy season is petering out. Which to be honest is a bit of a mixed blessing. I didn't mind the rainy season, as it was not all that wet during a lot of days - most of the time it just rained at night. It made the place quite respectable in terms of temperature as it was overcast a lot of the time.

On the other side of the coin, I do love when you wake up and the suns shining and the birds are singing, it make the little walk down to the office very pleasant. Of course during the middle of the day it will be absolutely scorching with the big fiery ball being directly over the top.

When the actual rainy season is, is a question that I found hard to get a straight answer when I arrived here. I had asked a lot of people and the results ranged from "it should have already started" to "it won't be for a few months yet". So perhaps this post may be a bit of a false harbinger. Just as my Mystical Infrastructure Inverse Relationship post proved. I was told that when I was away in Manus there was a massive power failure, with the power being out for a few days. Which could explain why when I looked in my freezer after returning that it looked like it had partially defrosted and had then refrozen.