An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Niupela Lonely Planet

First hand confirmation that Lonely Planet is coming out with a new guidebook was obtained when I met the actual coordinator and contributor for the Morobe section last night at the Lae International. Alex (probably the only person who reads this blog - so g'day mate) gave me a call and I arranged a lift with Roger to go in and have a few drinks and pizza at the "Inter".

Andrew Burke was the guys name and it was interesting to have a chat with him and see how they write these things and some background workings on Lonely Planet. I am pretty sure he was also grateful for all the local advise that we pouring out - best kai bar, which hotel still exists and what monuments are actually being looked after i.e. none.

In terms of guidebooks I personally think there is no alternative than getting your hands on LP. Since travelling around Europe, Jen and me between us bought over twenty of them. There was also the time that I met Tony Wheeler, the co-founder of LP, at a travel expo in London and got him to sign my newly purchased Ireland LP. Funnily but that book now resides on Jen's bookshelf in Sydney (I should really get that back).