An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Tough Work

I'm off to Manus for a week on Monday for "work". Now if you don't know where Manus is, it is the northern most province in PNG and the one with the least amount of land. Basically it consists of one big island, Manus, and a bunch of little islands surrounding it.

Anyway it means that I will be having a bit of a relaxing time for a bit. There is work to do, but it means travelling around the islands dismantling left over DODL equipment and then packaging them up and shipping them back here to Lae. On the flip side, there will be plenty of opportunity to relax on typical tropical beaches and do a bit of swimming and snorkelling. Tough work.

In my mind I am forming a picture with the aid of descriptions from other people that these islands will be like an elaborate necklace of precious emeralds set in turquoise dangling from the Equators neck. Or in other words the typical tropical islands that you would find spread over any front cover of any South Pacific holiday destinations brochure. The best thing though is that I know for certain that there will be no tourists and no gaudy resorts. It will all left just the way it should be. Bliss.

The other reason I am getting excited is that this will be the first time I have ventured off to a PNG island - any island, big or small. So it will be another feather in the cap of my experience here.

Will report in full afterwards.