An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Friday, November 18, 2005

I Want One ...

... and it would be good for PNG too.



If you missed it the $100 laptop made its debut yesterday and personally I think this is one of the best ideas I have ever come across. A rugged portable, cheap, wind-up laptop that can be distributed to the developing world, and it uses Linux to boot (screw you Microsoft).

What a brilliant, brilliant invention. It is so good I want to get one and use it for travelling. It is small to cart around and I can type my emails and blog stories up anywhere and not worry about power converters and adapters - hey it is wind-up - and then transfer it to a USB flash drive and go to an internet cafe and upload.

And of course, after my discussion yesterday with the new German director of IT here at the Uni, his dream of giving a laptop to every student and using wi-fi to connect them campus wide suddenly does not sound like the pipe-dream I was nodding away to at the time.