An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Goin' 60

Flat out at the moment. Been crawling around underneath the building, laying conduit, running network cable, drilling holes, crimping connectors, getting dirty, having fun. I like doing this sort of stuff because it means at least I am not in front of a CRT.

The reason for the new run around of networking infrastructure, is because we have yet another new extension. We just keep on getting bigger. I was talking earlier this year about my new office which I moved into, well I am now moving back to the cupboard, but the cupboard has one wall knocked out and three metres and two massive windows installed. Nice.

Then there is the changeover to our network and always associated issues that arise to keep me busy. I am really happy this has now changed, it gives my department its own destiny in part and means that we are now fully independent and not a sub-branch off anyone else.

And aside from that there is the server to set-up. This goes hand in hand with the network to make us leap into the 21st century. The only problem I am having is battling with Redhat Linux 9 on it. Not fully compatible and has a few teething problems (either that or I have no idea what I am doing with it, probably the latter). If anyone does have a copy of Redhat Enterprise 3 or 4 I would like to know about. It is Linux so it should be free after all.

p.s. the title is a reference to a saying here. Givim 60 or mi go 60 means you are going fast. It relates to the old days where cars were in miles per hour and 60mph was rip roaring.