An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Survivor

I am back in my cosy little house after an exhausting time bashing along the Kokoda track. There is a lot to tell, and a good story as promised is in the works - I will be working to complete it over the next couple of days while entertaining my track beating companions who are here with me at the moment.

As is my usual approach though here are a few photos from the slog before the big story. I took over 200 of the things so selecting for this little post is no mean feat. But here goes.

There was mud, some more mud, tree roots, lots more roots and oh ... mud and roots ...



Plenty of creeks and rivers to negotiate. Some where you have to wade through, others where slippery rocks are hopped and the ever popular rickety log bridges ...



Various types of terrain to cross - wooded mountains, montane forest mountains, dry kunai grass mountains, every other type of mountain and a swamp ...



Luxury guesthouses to frequent - a bedroom below ...



And there was me looking completely stuffed and soaking in sweat for the majority of the eight days ...



This was my usual "why did we bother again" look. And please note there was no hair product involved in this image, it takes grime, sweat and a weeks worth of no showers to get this look.