An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Library Update

I must admit I did get a bit carried away last week when I compared the stripping of the library's façade artwork to the destruction of the Bamiyan Buddhas. I now know that it is in fact a restoration, but you have to admit it is a tad extreme to restore something by competely destroying it in the first place.

The uni has employed a local signwriter to fix the artwork as it had started to flake. Ironically enough it seems that it was only flaking because the last restoration - carried out by the same signwriter - was a touch-up job that was done in the completely wrong type of paint to the original epoxy paint, therefore it flaked in the harsh sun.


Being 'restored'