An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Malaria & Me ...

... don't get along. I am currently zonked out, trying to type this on my bed. It is turning into an effort.

It is mainly my fault that it has got to this point. Last week I had all the symptoms and started a course of Artemether to kill it off. It worked and I was back and bouncing. But I only did two days worth of dosage when I should have done a whole weeks worth. Now the parasite is back up from the canvas and landing some serious body blows.

It must have got a good hit on the stomach because that currently feels like it is twisted. For most of the day I have felt like I need to throw up but haven't. It is also giving the head a whacking, a good headache is the result.

Stupidly tried to go into work at lunch time during a period of feeling better. The effort from the walk, had me recovering on my office chair for an hour. Got one of the guys to give me a lift back home and to bed.

I have no doubt I will be back and fully fit in 24 hours, just don't like the thought of those hours though.