An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Friday, July 29, 2005

AVI Shakeup

Got an e-mail from my volunteer agency the other day. They are rejoicing that their contract with the Australian government (specifically with AusAID) has been reinstated. They have been at close to panic stations for the last two years - funnily enough coinciding with my association with them - and have done a lot of shaking up of their previous 'sewing circle clique' life.

Most of that shake up has meant trimming the fat, which was quite a lot. Some may say - me - that they may have gone a tad over board with their retrenchments, closing state offices, sackings and trying to make others walk. The AVI PNG program had when I was first offered this position, in October 2003, 6 people working on it. Now it has dwindled to 2.

It seems things might become a bit more realistic now that the ones left remaining have secure jobs. They are now looking at installing an in-country manager for most of their main countries of operation. This will be a significant shift in a policy that was always based on jet-lag travel from Melbourne HQ.

PNG is targeted to get an in-country manager to be based in Madang, between Jan and June 2006. Coincidently I finish my contract December 2005. I have briefly thought perhaps I could go for the position - get to live in the best town, get to travel all over the country and hang out with volunteers. Sounds good fun. But then I thought, two years is enough time in the one country, it will be time to stretch the legs and wander about again.

Besides I don't think I would fit in with the AVI crowd, I don't have breasts.