An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Oh Kenny G. What Have I Done!

* warning * - Post discusses techno geek stuff and scary music

My boss is the proud owner of a new iPod. He has been for a few weeks. Perhaps one of the very few national iPod owners in the country. Certainly they out of reach for most people. But my boss has now got one. Lucky him.

So what do you do when you get a new iPod, well you try and connect it to your computer and add music to it, don't you. So he tried initially by himself to get it working with his laptop. Instructions were read but unfortunately there were problems. The thing talked and then songs went missing and then it was showing the wrong size for the hard drive. Very bizarre.

Of course at this point I naturally had to get it working for him. Perhaps because a) I'm an iPod owner already, b) a supposed guru of computers and c) an employee of his department.

I step in and help. We try numerous different routes. Reformat. Scratch head. Reformat and factory reset. Scratch head. Check internet iPod forums. Find something worthwhile trying. Try. Scratch two day stubble. Find another forum article blaming a possible faulty USB port. Think yes, quite possibly. Set up device on my neighbouring colleagues new PC. Success. It now works correctly. Bloody dodgy Acer laptop computers.

From there I again leave it to him to load on whatever he cares to listen to. He brings his CD collection in. I see Smokey, an ABBA karoke disc, some crap Country & Western group and .. oh no .. not that .. Kenny bloody G.

OK, alright, calm down I think, as long as he only listens to it on his iPod and as long as I don't have to do any long trips with it I don't care. Wishful thinking.

Fast forward to this week. Boss is away, he has been all week. Paul, who owns the neighbouring computer loaded with crap, has discovered a set of old speakers. He hooks them up. Fires up iTunes. He likes Kenny G. Argg.

As often as I keep telling him I can't stand don't like, Kenny G, it keeps on popping on. I'm very, very, very close to sabotage.