An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Hangover

Last Thursday it was my birthday. So like most of the time you have a party with your friends to celebrate another tick on the box to being old. This year I had sent out the invites early, in fact as you can see from the earlier post (Party, Party, Party!) I had sent out the invites about month before the event. It was good timing for a party as well as David is heading home this Thursday after 2 years here, so it became a joint Birthday and Go Finish.

I didn't follow up with any more reminders, so when the time for the party came around on Saturday night, I was worried if anyone would actually show up. Of course I shouldn't have worried as it turned out that there was everyone local that I had invited and more turn up, in total about 25 people.

The next thing to worry about was the fact that I forgot to tell my neighbours and I hoped that the party would not create too much noise. At least one of my neighbours Martin came along anyway but poor old Vivienne and Betty on the other side might have copped it a bit. I got a ride with Betty this morning and she asked me about the "Ball" on Saturday night at my place.

The party went off great in the end and after midnight there was general all round concensus to head off to the Aviat to continue it there, as apparantly a good band was playing. Well they weren't but that didn't matter, we still managed to have a good time.

The third worry that I had was that I had to clear up my place once I got back in the morning. The place was an absolute right-off, but then again so was I. The first thing I did was go straight to bed, then got up at noon, looked at it again and then went straight back to bed. Eventually I had to clear it up, and I managed to get left with a pile of empty beer bottles in my laundry that came up to mid-thigh. Kila, my haus meri, has come today with a big bilum to take them away - you get money back when you collect empties.