An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Battle Lost

I really hate to admit it but I am raising the white flag. The tail is between the legs and I'm running for the safety of the familiar. I am finally surrendering in the battle with Linux and am resorting back to the use of the evil empire software - Micro$oft Windows Server.

The decision to change at this stage is mainly a practical one. I will be leaving soon and there is really no way I could have left the server half working with Linux on it when I don't even have anyone here to hand it over to yet. No one else on campus is clued up about the open-source operating system, so the only real option is to resort back to what I and others here know about already. It is debunking the Uni's new IT director in his efforts to move to an open-source environment, but that's the way it goes at this stage of the game. More training required.

So Bill Gates wins, and even though I do loathe Microsoft (which is a bit of a paradox for me, considering that is what I am technically proficient at - it is now 7 years since I became one of their giamen Certified Systems Engineers) I must say that Mr Gates himself is not such a bad old chap. After all he recently donated some big bucks to the Institute of Medical Research up in Goroka for combating Malaria. A few of my volunteer wantoks work there and I am certainly no fan of Malaria, so I think I feel a bit more of a kinship with him now.