An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Covered



After a year and half of not needing the thing, a while ago I finally pulled it out of the cupboard and got it setup. The moment was in the middle of the night, waking up to find myself the evening meal for a hoard of mosquitos. So in one of those frantic, stumbling, half-zombie, midnight scenes, I was pulling my bed out from the wall, standing on the bed-head, screwing hooks in the ceiling and erecting my mossie net.

It was around the time of when I put Operation Cheapskate into action. I had just cut a big hole in the flywire, to enact the operation, so this could partially explain why I was suddenly being invaded. Being the lazy bachelor that I am, I still haven't quite got around to stitching up the hole, so the mossie net is still in place.

I quite like it though. It is nice to wake up under. I was worried that it would make it too hot, but it seems to be fine with the ceiling fan going. It does take a bit to get in and out, carefully trying not to rip it on the corners of the bed, but once this is achieved it is not so painful.

This is not like my right knee at the moment, which is quite painful. In some bizarre sleeping act last night, I must have whacked it against something, because now it hurts just to straighten and bend. If anyone knows how you can damage your knee while sleeping, I am all ears.