An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Wet Path?

All this rain could cause me a few headaches (or adventure whichever way you look at it) this afternoon, as I am planning on catching a minivan bus to Goroka. Current word is that the road is bagarup just outside of town (in other words flooded from all the rain), so my little afternoon trip could turn into a bit of a drama.

I have a hunch and a feeling that Lae is only copping the big wet, and once out and onto the open valley it will be, as usual, fairly dry.

Heading in to the market in half an hour to find out which way my path will head.

And in case you're wondering what beckons in Goroka ... well I plan to gate crash the AVI in-country meeting (AVI's supposedly only get to go to one of these freebie bashes in their two year placement, and I had mine last year).

----------

*update* 6pm

Not there yet. Road was cut just outside of town and not cleared until late afternoon. Thinking about still heading up tomorrow morning and coming back Monday.

Here is a pic from about 1 o'clock of the usual stream, between uni and town, being most un-stream like. Normally this could be crossed at knee height. Goes to show how much rain we have had.