An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Monday, October 18, 2004

Someone Else's Story

While I am going through a lean patch with not too much action happening lately you may want to check out someone else's story of a journey up the nearby Snake river.

Here is a bit of a teaser.
The caves were a bit of a surprise. The entrance is not promising -- lots of crawling and squeezing -- but this was only a side vent into what looked like the course of an ancient underground river. Huge caverns open out, perhaps twenty meters to the ceiling, and tracks lead off into dark and mysterious places. Country for dwarves and balrogs this.
Perhaps I will have to head off to this river and suss it out myself. Apparantly it is quite possible to white-water raft down it, just need to get the equipment.