An Australian volunteer who was doing whatever volunteers do in PNG.
I was there for 2 years until Dec 2005 .. I hope I made the most of it.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Life in a Warm House

A change is as good as a holiday and I have had that over the last week. The change being a couple of flat mates.

It has been a while since I have had someone to share a house with for any length of time. Quite a few years in fact. And now since I have been reacquainted with what it is like, I realise that I don't mind it at all.

You get to cook for more than one person. Someone else cooks for you. The big current events are discussed (Hurricane anyone). Meaningless events are discussed. And you get to drink more cups of tea than you usually would. Not bad at all.

My co-conspirators and house warmers have been Jim and Jean of Tenkile fame. They have been in town doing their shopping. Shopping for rabbits, chooks and other protein for the obviously hungry folk of Lumi, Sandaun province. They have also stocked up on all manner of new gadgets that I have been playing with (Walking Talkies are just as fun as when I was 9) and had a mountain of cargo to ship back with them via Airlink.

While they were here they got to again experience all that Lae has to offer ... umm, drinking, drinking and hmmm, more drinking. This ex-pat life can get to you after a while. Pity that they have left today though. Not so much that they are missing the drinks tomorrow night, but they are now missing the cricket.

and pity that we lost the toss ... again. I hate watching us bowl! especially when we are being hammered.